The purpose of this organization shall be to create enthusiasm for scholarship , to stimulate a desire to render service , to promote leadership , and to develop character in the students of secondary schools.
The Process of Becoming A Member of the Harlingen School of Health Professions School Chapter of the National Honor Society
- According to the National Constitution, a student must be enrolled in high school for three semesters before he/she can be eligible for NHS membership.
- According to district policy, all students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher to be eligible for NHS membership.
- Demonstrate volunteer activities or service hours.
- Preserve an excellent record of behavior in and out of school.
- Participate in leadership roles in school and/or community activities.
The HSHP NHS Procedures:
- In April GPA information is pulled for all sophmores.
- Any sophmore who has a GPA of 3.5 or higher will receive a hand delivered invitation during the school day outlining the process of applying for NHS. These students are not accepted into NHS, they are simply invited to apply.
- Thursday, April 28th these same students are invited to a meeting to go over the application process & are given applications for NHS. The applications are due Thursday, May 12th by 4:15 PM
- The Faculty Council (an anonymous group of faculty at HSHP) meets to review applications. During this process, students will be chosen to participate in NHS based on Character, Leadership, Community Service, and Teacher Recommendation.
- Applicants will be notified via letter of acceptance/non-acceptance no later than Friday, May 20th.
- Accepted members are inducted at a formal induction ceremony Fall of 2016. Each member must also keep their GPA at 3.5 and participate in NHS events.